Saturday, September 4, 2010

He grew up in a heartbeat

Well I take to keyboard right now with shaky hands dear readers. Brayden got off the bus today from his first day of school and tripped me out badly.
I am proud to say that I have raised a great son. He is funny, articulate and polite. I’m not entirely sure how I accomplished this without a male role model, but I’ll take it. He is just now in the 2nd grade although he is almost 9. I held him back for an extra year of preschool, because frankly he was not ready, and he repeated kindergarten. He is in good shape now!
He got off the bus today, and I asked him if he had made any new friends his first day. He said, “Kinda, I have a girlfriend now.” It was all very matter of a fact. Me? I believe I had an aneurysm!
Apparently a little mixed girl (with “pretty hair”) named Tatyana ran up to my son during recess, kissed him on the cheek, and informed him that he was her boyfriend. I guess Brayden agreed to her terms, because he informed me, “If anybody messes with her I’ll take ‘em out!”
I have so many mixed emotions about this kittykats! On one hand I am a little bit proud that my son is so valiant. A man should stick up for a woman if you need it. It took me 33 years to find one who did! It gives me faith that I am raising a good man. Then again he is still a little boy to me, and it’s hard to come to terms with the fact he is halfway to 18.
As all these emotions coursed through my body, I remembered something. I was 9 when I had my first “boyfriend” His name was Jerremy and we played basketball at recess for two weeks. Then I decided that Chris Drake was cuter, but I digress… I turned out fine, and I reckon he will too!
As always, thanks for listening and God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment