Thursday, May 26, 2011

Should I stay or should I go

Just got back from court again, and I'm kind of relieved with how it turned out.
Nope, not THAT great of news. I still have the charge pending against me. What happened is that they extended my plea deadline until next Tuesday.

In a nutshell for you non-criminal readers: They are giving me the opportunity to take the plea bargain that I turned down before. I was offered 20 months, which in Indiana is actually 10 months with credit for good behavior. As long as I don't beat up a guard or shank someone, that shouldn't be a problem. When I am released I will be free and clear from the legal system, no probation. I will also be a felon, but I am unsure I could avoid conviction.

If I was to be acquitted, it would hinge on my ex-husband. He would have to testify in open court that I had no idea the guitar was stolen. This is the truth, but I don't think BP would do it for 2 reasons.
1-I left him and got with Crispy, I have a feeling he might just be a wee bit upset about that. I know for a fact he resents that my kids call Crispy dad, though he should be thanking him for taking such good care of his kids.
2-If he testifies, the charge I am facing would go on him, and with his criminal record he would be facing some hefty jail time. With him getting out in August after serving nearly 2 years, I imagine he is not eager to spend any more time locked up. Plus honesty has never been his strongest trait.

So I am thinking about just going ahead and taking the plea. Though I know I am innocent, BP is the only one who can exonerate me. I'm going to have a long talk with Crispy tonight. I want us to make this decision together.

Good news is, I bought myself at least another month and a half of freedom. It might sound silly, but I am going to have more time to make more memories. The kids have one more week of school left and then we get them all to ourselves. Also Crispy's sister is getting married June 11th. Crispy is going to be an usher and has to wear a tux. The thought of seeing him dressed up like that makes my heart go pitter-patter.

As always, thanks for listening and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment